Can’t get any more healthy than this… or vegetarian for that matter. Well, actually I used beef broth in it but you can probably go for vegetable kind and turn it into a boring vegan meal, but what do I know. Anyway, it is one of my favourite soups as of now and even if it sounds weird to you, I say you should definitely give it a try… for the sake of argument :).
Watch it with the mushrooms, cut them as small as you can and maybe fry them in a separate pan for few more minutes; they tend to get weird if you just boil them. Same with barley, I used ¾ of a cup in this recipe and the thing sucked all my liquid, so I adjusted the recipe for a ⅓ of a cup, but if you want more knock yourself out.
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- ½ lb (230g) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth (or fat-free vegetable broth)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅓ cup quick cooking barley
- 2-3 tbsp fresh italian parsley, chopped
- In a decent size skillet, add some vegetable oil and fry those mushrooms along with the garlic until you are satisfied with the result. I usually like them well cooked.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat then add celery, carrots and onion, cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and 2 cups of water, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste; bring to boiling. Stir in your barley and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add parsley and serve hot.