I know, not many people like salads, at least according to my website traffic, but I love them and everytime I find a new recipe that seems weird and new, I am bound to try it regardless. If you are not a vegetarian though, you can always eat my salads with a generous “side” of beef steak or pork tenderloin. 🙂 It really works!
Anyway, here it is, all you need to know is inside the recipe card so I think everybody should really give this salad a shot, it was unbelievable.
- ⅓ cup pecans or walnuts
- ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 30oz (800g) lettuce mix (I used butter lettuce)
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2oz (60g) crumbled cheese (gorgonzola or feta)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Get your produce ready, peel and slice everything.
- In a skillet over medium heat combine pecans or walnuts with 3 tablespoons of the sugar ( or more if you need to). Cook and stir until the sugar melts and caramelizes. Transfer coated pecans to a sheet of wax paper or aluminium foil; let cool and chop into pieces.
- Get the dressing ready; in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, garlic and remaining sugar. Slowly add oil then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large serving bowl layer lettuce, pears, cheese, avocado and green onions. Add dressing; toss to coat then sprinkle with cooled pecans and serve.